I've eaten a lot of vegan burgers all over the world, and some have been ok, some great. But let's face it, we can all make a GREAT burger at home, even from shop bought ingredients. This is my version in sunny Barcelona.
First you need a good burger. To be honest most of the commercial ones here are pretty grim. But I have managed to find one that is meaty in texture and tastes great. Sojasun are a big brand here. They make loads of vegan goodies. As far as I know all their products are vegan so that's a bonus!
Soyasun Burgers 2-50€
I prefer the provencale one, with the tomato & Basil version a close second. The also do a plain one and a curry version. They cost around 2-50€ for a packet of two. Not cheap, but then we healthy (pffft) vegans don't eat junk food that much do we? The burger is best heated up a in frying pan over a medium heat for 5mins, flipping half way. They do microwave ok but taste much better done properly!
So how else can you pep up a plain burger? Well, strips of tempeh (very popular in Spain) left to marinade in Sriracha (not so popular in Spain but in all good Asian stores) makes for a tasty addition. I just fry them in a little olive oil over a high heat. Smoked tempeh is widely available here too and well worth trying.
Tempeh soaked in Sriracha
But as everyone knows a truly great burger needs some cheeze yeah? Luckily we have cheezly over here, and its even in some shops as a kilogram log! How cool is that! The cost is 12€ per kg. BARGAIN and actually cheaper than the UK! A few thinnish slices help to smooth the passage of the wee beastie down the gullet!
Cheezly Mozz. From 12€ per kg
I also add fried onions, fried slices of potato, fried mushrooms, tomatoes, salad leaves, ali oli (yup, you can get vegan ali oli in most supermarkets here!) and of course some relish. Heinz or other. I used a commercial 1/4lb burger bun, toasted of course. Or make your own. Then it's just a question of building the little bugger up and opening wide. You could use a knife and fork, but really. Why would you?
The final product self assembled!
Oh and don't forget to enjoy an ice cold beer with it!
Cheers and hope you have fun making your own version!





I dont know if even my big mouth could handle that... never tried sriracha I'll have to look for it. Sorta sounds like one of the books in the bible...
ReplyDeleteGIMME
ReplyDeleteBill, Sriracha is THE holy grail! QG will agree. BTW this burger IS better than falafel. :-)
ReplyDelete