About Me

My photo
Barcelona, Spain
Just a real Monkey in a world of real moneys.. www.twitter.com/#!/DaDataMonkey

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bánh mì


Bánh mì is a Vietnamese sandwich that's got really popular in many Western countries, but here in Barcelona a vegan one is impossible to get. So I make my own. To be honest I think mine are better than the one's I've bought in London, but then I like mine spicy and full to the brim with as much as I can fit in.



It's basically a French baguette stuffed full of fresh herbs, crunchy veg, normally some mayo, sometimes a pate (usually meat based) and dead animal. From what I understand there is no history of a veggie or vegan version in Vietnam. But in a country that has seen poverty at a level Westerners can't imagine over the last few decades, I'm betting a vegan version was made somewhere, by someone (no, it wasn't, but go with the flow!!). So, let it be vegan!

Here's how I make mine. Well, one version anyway! Feel free to play with the ingredients, if there's one thing about this, it's totally your own creation so have fun with it!

Ingredients:
  • 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin batons
  • 1/2 daikon radish, peeled and cut into thin batons
  • 1/2 cucumber (seeds removed), cut into thin batons
  • 5 small red shallots, sliced thin on the round
  • 1 or more jalapeno or other hot pepper (to your taste), sliced thin (or use pickled)
  • Small handful of mint leaves roughly chopped
  • Handful of cilantro (stems and leaves) roughly chopped
  • 1 pound firm tofu (smoked is best), sliced thinly
  • Handful of beancurd shreds or tempe
I often add some fried potato slices, this time I had some sweet potato.
  • For the bean curd marinade
  • Sriracha (Rooster) sauce
  • Dark soy sauce
  • Maggi liquid seasoning
  • Finely minced/shredded lemongrass (or use bottled)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Mix the marinade well, and then cover the tofu and leave to marinate for at least an hour

  • Peanut (or other) oil for pan--frying
  • Vegan mayo to taste, seasoned with Sriracha or other flavoring as desired
  • crusty baguette-style rolls





Fry the tofu in a small amount of oil until crispy, but still soft in the centre. You want a nice crust, but not so crispy its like leather! Then just assemble and eat!


Et voila! Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment